FORMAT FOR THIS SESSION
- Begin with the prayer specific for each session
- Watch the TED talk video
- Watch the reflection video by Fr. John
- Pray over the scripture passage
- Watch the video on LECTIO DIVINA with Fr. James Martin
- Watch the music video by REND COLLECTIVE
- Review Personal Reflection Questions
If you have any questions please e-mail Fr. John at [email protected]
SESSION #2 – 5 Ways to Listen Better
Opening Prayer – Listening Prayer
Heavenly Father, I wait upon you. I pause, still my mind and still my heart. I wait upon you. I stop, and listen beyond the everyday. I wait upon you. I rest, and allow my soul to have space. I wait upon you. Quiet, at rest, held. I wait upon you. And call Abba, Abba Father. I know you have searched me, and you know me. I know you are the beginning and the end. I know you are the Redeemer. I wait upon you, Allowing your grace to penetrate my whole being. And in this place, close, protected and eternal I find that this grace renews my strength, Wipes away my tears, And promises new hope. I wait upon you. AMEN.
JULIAN TREASURE TED TALK
FR. JOHN VIDEO REFLECTION
1 Samuel 3:1-10
Now the boy Samuel was ministering to the Lord under Eli. The word of the Lord was rare in those days; visions were not widespread. At that time Eli, whose eyesight had begun to grow dim so that he could not see, was lying down in his room; the lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the temple of the Lord, where the ark of God was. Then the Lord called, ‘Samuel! Samuel!’* and he said, ‘Here I am!’ and ran to Eli, and said, ‘Here I am, for you called me.’ But he said, ‘I did not call; lie down again.’ So he went and lay down. The Lord called again, ‘Samuel!’ Samuel got up and went to Eli, and said, ‘Here I am, for you called me.’ But he said, ‘I did not call, my son; lie down again.’
Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, and the word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. The Lord called Samuel again, a third time. And he got up and went to Eli, and said, ‘Here I am, for you called me.’ Then Eli perceived that the Lord was calling the boy. Therefore Eli said to Samuel, ‘Go, lie down; and if he calls you, you shall say, “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.” ’ So Samuel went and lay down in his place.
PERSONAL REFLECTION QUESTIONS
(1) What filters do we have in our own lives that interrupts true listening?
(2) How do we seek to recalibrate our listening to God and one another?
(3) What do you do when you pray and want to listen to God?
(4) How can we turn down the noise around us that doesn’t allow us to really listen to one another?
(5) How can RASA (Receive/Appreciate/Summarize/Ask) help us in our faith and relationships with others?