FORMAT FOR EACH SESSION
- Begin with the prayer for specific for each session
- Listen to the UNDER THE INFLUENCE audio podcast from CBC
- Watch the TED talk video
- Watch the reflection video by Fr. John
- Pray over the scripture passage
- Review Personal Reflection Questions
If you have any questions please e-mail Fr. John at [email protected]
“UNDER THE INFLUENCE” PODCAST
Check out an episode of UNDER THE INFLUENCE, a CBC podcast about the advertising world. In this episode, the host of the podcast explores the “art of the nudge”. He talks about how big things changed when the right nudge or tipping point was offered for people to change their view, perspective or habits. In the world of faith, we don’t need to do big things, but in our small ways, we can nudge things into place to have BIG CHANGE take place.
SESSION #1 – What Separates us from Chimpanzees?
Opening Prayer – from Pope Francis – LAUDATO SI
All-powerful God, you are present in the whole universe and in the smallest of your creatures. You embrace with your tenderness all that exists. Pour out upon us the power of your love, that we may protect life and beauty. Fill us with peace, that we may live as brothers and sisters, harming no one.O God of the poor, help us to rescue the abandoned and forgotten of this earth, so precious in your eyes. Bring healing to our lives,that we may protect the world and not prey on it, that we may sow beauty, not pollution and destruction. Touch the hearts of those who look only for gain at the expense of the poor and the earth. Teach us to discover the worth of each thing, to be filled with awe and contemplation, to recognize that we are profoundly united with every creature as we journey towards your infinite light. We thank you for being with us each day.Encourage us, we pray, in our struggle for justice, love and peace. AMEN
JANE GOODALL TED TALK
FR. JOHN VIDEO REFLECTION
PERSONAL REFLECTION QUESTIONS
(1) What small “nudges” have helped you make better choices in your life?
(2) How can we practically “nudge” people towards the Gospel?
(3) What experiences have helped us realize that we are all connected?
(4) How can we truly be stewards of the life and world we have been given?
(5) Who have been influences on us helping live more faithful lives?